Chickenpox24th November 2017
Counterfeit Medicine24th November 2017
‘Flu’ is the short term used for ‘influenza’, and is caused by a viral infection of the nose, throat and chest. Cold and flu is more likely to occur in children than adults. A child may develop cold and flu up to eight times a year compared to two or three times for adults.
Signs and Symptoms
The Common Cold
Onset of symptoms is 1-4 days after infection.
Cold symptoms in children include:
- Fever (37.5 to 39°C).
- Runny nose.
- Sore throat.
- Stomach upset.
- Convulsions, attributed to fever.
Symptoms similar to the common cold (see above) but usually more severe. These are also accompanied by:
- General aches and pains.
- Pain or burning sensation in eyes.
No cure. Treatment is usually to ameliorate the symptoms thus enabling the immune system to deal with the infection.
Medicines that may help relieve your child’s symptoms
- Decongestants (e.g. oxymetazoline, pseudoephedrine) – reduce runny or blocked nose, thus easing breathing. This may also relieve headache.
- Antihistamines (e.g cetirizine, loratadine) – reduce mucus secretion and relieve watery eyes, sneezing and runny nose.
- Expectorants – loosen mucus in the airways.
- Cough Suppressants – act on the cough center in the brain to reduce frequency of dry cough.
- Pain killers – (e.g paracetamol for children > 1 month old; ibuprofen for children > 6 months old) relieve aches and headaches. Aspirin is not suitable for children and adolescents under 16 years old.
- Antipyretics (eg Panadol)- relieve fever.
Prior on purchasing the medication, you should get proper consultation from your medical practitioner or pharmacist.
- Keep your child warm in bed and maintain a normal temperature for 48 hours- this will aid the body’s defense against virus.
- Make sure your child drinks plenty of water.
- Make sure your child blows his/her nose gently one nostril at a time – this is important to prevent nasal secretions from entering and infecting the sinus/middle ear.
- To prevent spread of the infection, quarantine your child where possible.
- Good hygiene (proper disposal of used tissues and frequent hand washing) is important.
- Vitamin C – for prevention and treatment of cold and flu.
- Cod Liver Oil – increases immune system.
- Multivitamin and Minerals – for prevention of cold and flu.
- Vitamin E- Antioxidants and Immunity Booster – for prevention of cold.
*Consult a pharmacist at Lovy Pharmacy when choosing a supplement for your condition.