Antalvisc24th November 2017
AIDS/HIV24th November 2017
Arthritis means joint inflammation. It is often a chronic disease which can affect you over a long period of time.
The most common forms of arthritis are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis.
- The cartilages break down allowing bones to rub together, causing pain and stiffness, although generally there is little or no inflammation.
- Most often occurs in the weight-bearing joints-hips, knees, spine or hands.
- In this condition, the lining of the joint becomes inflamed.
- Commonly affected joints: fingers, wrists, shoulders, knees or feet.
Signs and Symptoms
- Stiff joints when getting out of bed or after sitting for a long time.
- Recurring pain or tenderness in any joint.
- Swelling in one or more joints.
- Limited joint movement.
- Redness and warmth in a joint.
- Unexplained weight loss, fever or weakness with joint pain.
- Joint deformities
- Medicines can relieve symptoms, control pain, slow down damage to the joints and reduce disability.
- Ask our doctor/ pharmacist on the medicines available to help you.
- Exercise can help to maintain strength of the muscles and improve mobility of the affected joints. Choose exercises (e.g. swimming, Tai Chi) that do not strain your joints.
- Heat and cold – Warm towels, hot/ice packs can provide temporary pain relief.
- Distribute weight – use both arms to carry heavy objects, try not to sit /stand/lie in one position for too long.
- Weight reduction is necessary for obese individuals as it reduces the strain on your hips and knees.
- Glucosamine and chondroitin – proven to be effective in relieving symptoms of osteoarthritis by stimulating the biosynthesis of the mucopolysaccharides (the essential components of the cartilage) and enhance the lubricant activity at the joint.
- Omega-3 Fish Oil and Evening Primrose Oil – shown to have anti-inflammation properties that reduce inflammation of arthritis.
- Vitamin C – slows the progression of the disease, reduces the risk of cartilage loss, and reduces the risk of developing knee pain.
- Vitamin E, zinc and selenium may decrease free radical damage to the joints lining, which diminish swelling and pain.
*Consult a pharmacist at Lovy Pharmacy when choosing a supplement for your condition.